About Me

My photo
I've been making things since I was very young. My first-grade notebooks are full of doodles and drawings. My mom sewed, and on her classic black and gold, 1945-era Singer, I started sewing pieces of fabric together, then doll clothes, and by 7th grade I was making my own dresses for school. I began college in 1968 as an Art major, and continued to experiment with many different media. As a young married woman (age 20!) I began making all my gifts at Christmas time for family members: ornaments, stuffed animals, and many other things. I made curtains and re-upholstered furniture for all the houses we lived in. I took inspiration from every source: magazines and books, nature, museums, stores and TV shows. I've tried pottery, oil painting, water-color painting, fabric crafts of all kinds, knitting, crochet, paper collage, beading and jewelry making, shell crafts, furniture painting, paper-mache creations, doll-making, quilting.....you name it, I've probably given it a try. I still get excitement from seeing something that makes me think, "I CAN DO THAT!!", and I go home and get started.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

IN THE ABORIGINAL STYLE

This is the record of the places we visited.  The large circles represent "sites" in Ab. Art, so these are the cities we stayed in, based on their relative locations on the Australia map.
After our five-week visit to Australia last year, I came home inspired to do paintings in the "dot" style of the Aboriginal art we had seen.  I've always LOVED using dots, anyway, and have been enamored of this native painting style for a very long time.  Seeing lots of the art up close and personal really made an impact on me.  I bought a couple books of Aboriginal Art and designs, and got to work as soon as we arrived home.  I kept the first one, which is a record of the places we visited and the animals we saw, and I gave the others as gifts to family and friends.
I also do these kinds of paintings on commission, with individualized themes.  Contact me if you would like to discuss ordering a painting.

This was painted for my oldest son, who spends his summers on the white-water rapids in a Colorado River.  The main theme here is water, of course, and the fish designs are based on the Barramundi that the Aboriginals used as a major food fish.

My youngest son liked the snake image that we saw in one of my books, so this painting came from that inspiration.

I did this one for my son that lives far away; he came for the Christmas holidays and had to take his gifts back in a suitcase.  I made this two-part painting to accommodate his traveling.  He lives on a beach in Florida, and participates in the wonderful turtle hatches that take place there.

This was done for a friend who also did some traveling through Eastern Australia.  Again, the large circles represent the places she visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment